LIAT is in ‘A Very Precarious Situation’ and Will Need a Bailout, Antigua PM Says
LIAT’s passenger services are currently suspended until May 15.Last month Chief Executive Officer Julie Reifer-Jones explained that the suspension was based on a review by the Board of Directors and Executive Management of the airline.“Several destinations have extended their border closures and instituted strict travel restrictions, which mean that passengers are unable to travel,” Reifer-Jones said.While the airline continues to operate with a skeletal staff, she advised that the airline was working to resume operations across the LIAT network as soon as it was feasible to do so.LIAT is majority-owned by 11 Caribbean governments, the largest shareholders being the Governments of Barbados, Antigua & Barbuda and St. Vincent & the Grenadines. Its hub is in Antigua.(Barbados Today) Sharing is caring! Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne says COVID-19 has dealt a severe blow to regional airline LIAT, and the carrier will be in need of a bailout.Browne was at the time reacting to Friday’s US FAA downgrade of the Eastern Caribbean Aviation system and its impact of the beleaguered LIAT.“Luckily for us though, they didn’t take any decision, for example, that LIAT, which is the sub-regional airline and regional airline for that matter, that LIAT cannot continue to fly within US territories to include the US Virgin Islands,” Browne said Saturday.“We’ll be able to continue to conduct business as usual but if we had planned, and we’ve had discussions along those lines, because LIAT had route rights going into the United States. So, if we wanted to expand the service of LIAT then clearly no new schedules could be introduced.”But the Prime Minister added that LIAT would be in a position anytime soon to expand its market into the United States.“In fact, LIAT’s first situation now is to stabilize it’s situation,” he said. Share LifestyleLocalNewsRegional LIAT is in ‘A Very Precarious Situation’ and Will Need a Bailout, Antigua PM Says by: – May 13, 2020 Share Share 985 Views no discussions “LIAT was already in a very precarious situation and COVID would have worsened the situation. So right now LIAT, just like any other airline globally, will be in need of a bailout.” Tweet
‘Child abuser’ falls in Silay City
BACOLOD City – Charged with child abuse, a man was arrested in Barangay Lantad, Silay City, Negros Occidental. The suspect was detained in the custodial facility of the Silay City police station. Police officers served Moletin the warrant the court issued in relation to a case he faces for violation of Republic Act 7610, or the Special Protection of Children against Abuse, Exploitation and Discrimination Act. The court recommended an P80,000 bail bond for the his temporary liberty./PN Resident Armelo Moletin was caught on the strength of an arrest warrant around 1 p.m. on May 20, police said.
Some of you will not agree with me on this blog. I recently attended an indoor track meet at East Central. That facility allows students not only at East Central but area schools as well an opportunity to practice outdoor sports in dry and safe conditions. I truly believe that the money spent on these facilities is worthwhile.I didn’t count the athletes listed on the program, but I know it was well in excess of 100. On this Saturday in March these kids were not only getting great exercise but they were doing something constructive. There weren’t out driving in a car, vaping, or drinking alcohol. Neither were they home hovering over an ipad. I believe the money spent on facilities like this pay for themselves many times over because of the opportunities they give students.Kudos to all schools in the area who are improving their athletic facilities.
Rohr lists Musa, Ekong, 23 others for Cote d’Ivoire, Tunisia friendlies
RelatedPosts Sahara Energy, Petroci sign $43m deal to boost LPG supply in Cote D’Ivoire Nigeria plan Cote d’Ivoire, Tunisia friendlies Ivorian prime minister dies suddenly at 61 after cabinet meeting Super Eagles’ Technical Adviser, Gernot Rohr, has called up 25 players ahead of next month’s friendly matches against the Elephants of Cote d’Ivoire and the Carthage Eagles of Tunisia, scheduled for Austria.Five other players have been put on standby. In the three-time African champions’ first games this year, as a result of the prolonged global coronavirus pandemic, Rohr has listed top names Ahmed Musa, Kenneth Omeruo, William Ekong and Wilfred Ndidi, as well as new brooms Frank Onyeka and Chidera Ejuke.Former U-17 World Cup winning goalkeeper Dele Alampasu returns to the group, as well as midfielder Mikel Agu.Captain of the most recent Nigeria U17 squad, Samson Tijani, will join up with the elite, as well as Portugal-based exciting wing back Zaidu Sanusi.Goalkeeper Maduka Okoye, now in The Netherlands, is heading to Austria as England-based forward Kelechi Iheanacho also returns.Victor Osimhen, now in Italy with Napoli, and another former U-17 World Cup winner, Samuel Chukwueze, are also called. The Super Eagles, now ranked 29th in the world and third in Africa, will take on the Elephants on October 9 and four days later engage the Carthage Eagles, who are second in Africa in the rankings.Both games have been arranged by the Nigeria Football Federation to prepare the Eagles for the next rounds of 2022 AFCON qualifiers, home and away against Sierra Leone in November.THE FULL LIST Goalkeepers: Dele Alampasu (FK Ventspils, Latvia); Matthew Yakubu (SKF Sered, Slovakia); Maduka Okoye (Sparta Rotterdam, The Netherlands)Defenders: Kenneth Omeruo (CD Leganes, Spain); Leon Balogun (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland); Chidozie Awaziem (FC Boavista, Portugal); William Ekong (Udinese FC, Italy); Olaoluwa Aina (Fulham FC, England); Jamilu Collins (SC Padeborn 07, Germany); Oluwasemilogo Ajayi (West Bromwich Albion, England); Zaidu Sanusi (FC Porto, Portugal)Midfielders: Mikel Agu (Vitoria Guimaraes, Portugal); Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City, England); Frank Onyeka (FC Midtjylland, Denmark); Oghenekaro Etebo (Galatasary SK, Turkey); Samson Tijani (TSV Hartberg, Austria) Forwards: Ahmed Musa (Al Nassr, Saudi Arabia); Alex Iwobi (Everton FC, England); Victor Osimhen (SSC Napoli, Italy); Moses Simon (FC Nantes, France); Samuel Chukwueze (Villarreal FC, Spain); Cyril Dessers (KRC Genk, Belgium); Kelechi Iheanacho (Leicester City, England); Samuel Kalu (Girondins Bordeaux, France); Chidera Ejuke (CSKA Moscow, Russia)Standby: Abdullahi Shehu (Bursaspor, Turkey); Ramon Azeez (Granada CF, Spain); Joshua Maja (Girondins Bordeaux, France); Henry Onyekuru (AS Monaco, France); Tyronne Ebuehi (FC Twente, Netherlands).Tags: Cote d’IvoireFRIENDLIESGernot RohrSuper EaglesrTunisia
Pardew craving three points
Newcastle boss Alan Pardew sees it as vital that his team get back to winning ways in Sunday’s Barclays Premier League home clash with Fulham. Pardew, whose side complete a hat-trick of home fixtures by hosting derby rivals Sunderland after the Benfica return leg, added: “We want to set ourselves up for Thursday – probably to do that, we are going to need to win.” Although Newcastle have had to travel to Portugal and back this week, recent evidence would suggest that fatigue within the camp is not something Pardew needs to worry too much about. In February, the Magpies beat Southampton 4-2 on the Sunday that immediately followed their Thursday night Europa League last-32 clash with Metalist Kharkiv in Ukraine. And last month they repeated the trick, defeating Stoke 2-1 three days after playing in Russia against Anzhi Makhachkala in the last 16. It is a pattern Pardew is hoping continues. “We had a tough game against Benfica,” the 51-year-old said. “But it was just as tough as some of the other games we have had, and there is no reason why we can’t show our strength on the pitch on Sunday.” The Magpies go into the contest off the back of Thursday night’s 3-1 Europa League quarter-final first-leg defeat at Benfica – their third successive loss, after they were beaten 4-0 at Manchester City and 2-1 at Wigan before that in the league. Those top-flight reverses have left the Tyneside outfit just three points clear of the relegation zone. And Pardew is in no doubt about the importance of Newcastle making the most of their return to St James’ Park – both in terms of their league position, and with a view to the second leg against Benfica which follows on Thursday. “The Fulham game is an important one for us, there is no doubt about that,” Pardew told Press Association Sport. Press Association
Tigers Struggle Against Eagles
Latest Posts Hancock County Court News Nov. 3 thorugh Dec. 11 – January 22, 2015 Dana Austin of the Ellsworth Eagles is tagged out at the plate by Sumner’s Joe Simmons.—MIKE OLESSULLIVAN — Ellsworth pitchers John Carlin, Andrew Hodge and Pat Kelley combined to strike out 10 and allow just one hit in pitching the Eagles to an 11-1 season-opening win over the Sumner Tigers on Friday at Sullivan.Kelley drove in two runs with two doubles and a single, Hodge drove in a pair with a double and a single and Mickey Manning had a two-run double for the Eagles.Mike Crowley doubled home a run in the third inning for Sumner’s only hit. For more sports stories, pick up a copy of The Ellsworth American. House fire in Winter Harbor – October 27, 2014 Latest posts by admin (see all) State budget vs. job creation – January 22, 2015 Bio admin This is placeholder textThis is placeholder text
Ellsworth’s Sam Alvarado breaks team record
BANGOR — Ellsworth High School swimmer Sam Alvarado set a new team record in the boys’ 500-yard freestyle on Thursday at a dual meet against George Stevens Academy and Hampden.Alvarado, a junior, finished the race at Husson University in four minutes and 51.89 seconds, breaking the 4:53.09 mark set in 2009 by Brian Batson. The runner-up, Dylan Noyes of Hampden, finished more than a minute and a half later in 6:33.05.“We had a lot of great swims and more state qualifying times achieved,” Ellsworth coach Jim Goodman said. “Almost every swimmer dropped their time in at least one event.”Both the Ellsworth boys’ and girls’ teams took first. For the boys, Ellsworth won with 71 points, and Hampden took second with 66. For the girls, Ellsworth won with 56 points, and GSA placed second with 50.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textOf Ellsworth’s 32 swimmers, 20 have notched a combined 97 state-qualifying times.“Very proud of their efforts,” Goodman said. “The team continues to work hard in practice and swim through the dual meets to get ready for the PVC and state championships in February.”First-place finishers are listed below:Girls’ 200-yard medley relay: Ellsworth’s Leah Stevens, Sidney Hamilton, Jessica Cohen and Katie Walton (2:09.37).Boys’ 200-yard medley relay: Ellsworth’s Cooper Holmes, Hayden Sattler, Richie Matthews and Austin Baron (1:47.17).Girls’ 200-yard freestyle: GSA’s Maya Pelletier (2:17.52).Boys’ 200-yard freestyle: Ellsworth’s Talor Hamilton (1:46.37).Girls’ 200-yard individual medley: GSA’s Ava Sealander (2:21.58).Boys’ 200-yard individual medley: Ellsworth’s Cooper Holmes (2:05.13).Girls’ 50-yard freestyle: Ellsworth’s Sidney Hamilton (27.06).Boys’ 50-yard freestyle: Ellsworth’s Camden Holmes (23.37).Girls’ 100-yard butterfly: GSA’s Ava Sealander (1:02.56).Boys’ 100-yard butterfly: Hampden’s Cameron LaBree (58.85).Girls’ 100-yard freestyle: Hampden’s Cara Whitmore (1:06.07).Boys’ 100-yard freestyle: Ellsworth’s Cooper Holmes (49.73).Girls’ 500-yard freestyle: Hampden’s Gabbi Bourgoin (6:02.42).Boys’ 500-yard freestyle: Ellsworth’s Sam Alvarado (4:51.89).Girls’ 200-yard freestyle relay: GSA’s Alessandra Rovescala, Ava Sealander, Emma Larson-Whittaker and Maya Pelletier (1:57.87).Boys’ 200-yard freestyle relay: Ellsworth’s Hayden Sattler, Sam Alvarado, Camden Holmes and Talor Hamilton (1:36.05).Girls’ 100-yard backstroke: Ellsworth’s Jessica Cohen (1:13.27).Boys’ 100-yard backstroke: Hampden’s Brian Dysart (1:02.78).Girls’ 100-yard breaststroke: Ellsworth’s Sidney Hamilton (1:18.11).Boys’ 100-yard breaststroke: Ellsworth’s Talor Hamilton (1:05.09).Girls’ 100-yard freestyle relay: GSA’s Hanna Jordan, Maya Pelletier, Emma Larson-Whittaker and Ava Sealander (4:24.35).
Liverpool go third with Fermino winner at West Brom
ROBERTO Firmino scored a winner for the second weekend running as Liverpool beat West Brom to go third in the Premier League.The Brazil striker headed in at the end of the first half after Lucas Leiva had glanced on James Milner’s free-kick.Milner volleyed over after half-time, and Simon Mignolet saved with his legs from Matt Phillips at the other end.Late on, Alberto Moreno missed an empty goal from 40 yards after Albion keeper Ben Foster had gone up for a corner.Despite that miss, Jurgen Klopp’s side secured a fifth win in seven games, sending West Brom to a third straight defeat.Klopp has spoken recently of the need for Liverpool to “win ugly” – having developed a habit of beating the Premier League’s top teams and then slipping up against sides lower down.Liverpool’s manager was particularly wary of the threat that West Brom might pose from set-pieces, an area in which his team have been vulnerable defensively this season.To counter that danger, Klopp used the fierce winds that hit Merseyside last Wednesday to his advantage – getting his players to face a barrage of high crosses and long throws in training that day.The manager’s reasoning was that if his players could deal with the ball in the air as it swirled about in the wind, they would be able to handle anything West Brom threw at them.Klopp has spoken recently of the need for Liverpool to “win ugly” – having developed a habit of beating the Premier League’s top teams and then slipping up against sides lower down.Liverpool’s manager was particularly wary of the threat that West Brom might pose from set-pieces, an area in which his team have been vulnerable defensively this season.To counter that danger, Klopp used the fierce winds that hit Merseyside last Wednesday to his advantage – getting his players to face a barrage of high crosses and long throws in training that day.The manager’s reasoning was that if his players could deal with the ball in the air as it swirled about in the wind, they would be able to handle anything West Brom threw at them.(BBC Sport)
Hamilton: Mercedes will Decide on Action for Ignoring Team Orders
“There’s no time pressure,” a spokesman said. “We’ll let the whole thing settle and then figure out the way forward.“For now, the focus is on savouring and celebrating the world championships.”Mercedes repeatedly ordered Hamilton to speed up during the race, telling him the win was under threat if he did not.But he rejected their commands and told his team to “let us race”.Hamilton went into the race 12 points behind Rosberg and needed to win – with the German finishing lower than third – to take the title.Hamilton insisted after the race he had only lost the championship because he had had more technical failures on his car than Rosberg during the season.Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff said: “We need to look at the overall situation and say ‘what does it mean?’.“Everything is possible – from ‘let’s change the rules next year because it doesn’t work in those critical races and maybe we want to give them even more freedom in racing each other’, to the more harsh side that we feel the team’s values were not respected.“This is 180 degrees and I am not sure yet where the needle is going to go.”Wolff said he could understand Hamilton’s actions on a personal level, but also that, as a man responsible for the racing operation of a global corporation, he might have a different view.“I was in two minds,” he said, adding the team values of Mercedes are “pretty clear” and “it cannot make a difference whether it was the first or last race”.“Those principles and values have won us races and championships and so this is one side.“And the other side, me the racer, says maybe I would have done the same.“He had two choices – disappear into the distance and show he is the quickest guy on the planet irrespective of what’s happening in the back or decide the other way and bunch them up behind him.“So we have to calm down. There is so much more going on in the background that plays a role in how we are thinking and this is why I don’t want to express an opinion before I have actually made up my mind for myself.”Rosberg said: “I wasn’t expecting it, no. Maybe that was a bit naive, but I didn’t expect it.“But it’s not something I need to discuss because it is really easy to understand the team’s side because we have done the same thing all year and it doesn’t change in the last race, but at the same time you can understand Lewis.“It’s the world championship and we are out there fighting and you have to understand he wants to try something. We don’t need to discuss it any more.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Mercedes has said that there is “no rush” to decide whether to take further action against Lewis Hamilton following the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.Hamilton drove deliberately slowly in an attempt to back team-mate Nico Rosberg into rivals. The German finished second to win his first title.
Algeria Coach, Belmadi, Blasts Nigerian Media
The short video clip of the incident had gone viral but when asked about the scene the coach simple turned the journalist question down and instead questioned her professionalism.The media room was raging with anger when all the Algerian media men applauded the response but it took the coordinator of the programme some minutes before normalcy returned to the room.“Gentlemen of the press, we need to be conscious of the fact that we are journalists and not fans, the clapping is disgraceful and tomorrow in the press gallery we must conduct ourselves and ensure that we don’t turn the arena into a fans pavilion, “ the Media Coordinator, Ibrahim Sani from Ghana remarked after the incident.Meanwhile Nigerian coach Gernot Rohr was earlier asked the same incident and how he intends to take care of expected simulation of the Algerian players. “Honestly I did not notice the incident but all I know is that FIFA frowns at such things hence we leave that to referee to handle. All my energy is channeled towards how we handle our match plans and the tactics we intend to adopt,” he remarked.Kenneth Omeruo also said that as a defender, they have instruction from the coach to minimize or eradicate fouls in the vital area. “We will be very alert to any form of antics from the Algerians and every one of us would be ready against the unprofessional match plan they may want to adopt,” he said with enthusiasm as he left the arena to join the rest of the team in camp.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Djamel Belmadi Femi Solaja in CairoThe expected hostility that may happen before, during and after the semi final match between Nigeria and Algeria Sunday may have started to play itself out Saturday when the coach of the Desert Foxes, Djamel Belmadi, took a swipe on a question asked by Nigerian media at the pre-match conference.A Nigerian journalist, Chisom Mbonu-Ezeoke, had asked the coach to comment on the incident that happened in the last match against Côte ‘d’ Ivoire when his defender, Sofiane Feghouli, simulated by forcing his hand on Wilfred Zaha and fell down waiting for the referee to blow for a foul play inside the box.